Jun 082012
 

 

I have kinda finished v1 of my dodgy quad:

As I’ve said in other dq posts, it’s kinda dodgy ;)

Tupperware top, cable ties everywhere, pool noodles landing gear. Green=Right ; Red=Left.

And since my earlier … incident … with my oktokopter, I totalled my goPro, but most of the polycarbonate case survived (not the lens though), so I’ve drilled out some holes for easy access to SD card & AV port (and to lighten it a bit) and I have bolted it to my quad:

I’ll be taking it out this weekend when we’re off to Twyfelfontein¬†for some camping, so hopefully I’ll get some interesting footage.

I’m kinda bumbed that my MEMS board didn’t work (the gyro’s roll axis was out of whack), because the accelerometers would give me auto-levelling, which would make it a lot easier to fly FPV, so I won’t be doing that any time soon, but I’m keeping all the gear the same so when I get a replacement, it’ll all be good!

May 212012
 

This is what my quad is going to look like, not pretty, but hopefully tough and functional:

The arms are held in place with cable ties:

And since there was a little bit of wiggle room for the arms on the frame, I made the arms slightly thicker using some masking tape:

Next step, assembling the electronics!

May 212012
 

Or “dq” as I am calling it.

It’s a dodgy little quadcopter I’m building with available materials here in the remote “city” of Swakopmund, Namibia, which is where I’m living for the moment (for work reasons).

There aren’t many building materials for a machine like this. I managed to find some 10mm spruce, which I believe have been sitting in the local toy & hobby shop for the better part of a decade. I’m using them for the “arms” and motor mounts:

I did some electronics testing, I connected the motor to a Turnigy Plush 18A ESC, to the receiver to the battery and hit full throttle:

I also tested how much thrust I’m getting using a super advanced method:

I was getting about 370gr on 50% throttle and 800gr on full throttle, which I think is fairly reasonable. I would love to have a current meter to see how many amps i’m actually drawing.

As for the frame… well, it’s a little on the heavy site, but I’m working to lighten it:

Yes, that’s something from the plumbing section at my local (and only) hardware store!

Here’s a pic of the basic framework: